About Oconomowoc Physical Therapy (OPT)
Oconomowoc Physical Therapy was started on the idea that being a healthcare consumer is already hard enough. I’m Dr. Carla Colella, DPT, OCS and I wanted to make it easier. That’s why I feature an informative consult before you even make a decision about your care, straight-forward pricing, and involve YOU in the type and frequency of your treatment plan.
I tend to have great success with people who have tried physical therapy elsewhere and did not have successful outcomes. Unfortunately, with the current insurance reimbursement model, many PTs feel the need to take short cuts to have enough time for the mounds of insurance paperwork and to comply with pointless regulations. There are many reasons people think they’ve failed PT, but you didn’t- it failed you. If any of the below reflect your previous experience with physical therapy, it might be time to give it a second (or third or fourth) try with OPT.
- Did you feel like you only got to talk to a person staring at a computer screen?
- Did you feel like your referring physician/surgeon & PT were only focused on your symptoms & declined to treat other parts of your body that may have been contributing?
- Did your MD & PT tell you to just rest and your symptoms will go away, but then they didn't?
- Did you feel dismissed? Either from the get-go, getting interrupted while telling your story, or in your plan of care when you were just doing some basic exercises you already tried.
- Did you feel like you’re getting lectured at & not listened to? Including being told that you NEED PT 2-3x/week?
- Do you feel that chronic stress is a big part of your chronic pain & are wondering if maybe there isn’t a more hands-on approach? (There is)
- Did you go through the process of internal biofeedback for pelvic floor pain but symptoms still persist?
- Were you told you were done/discharged from therapy despite still having issues?
- Don't think you are a candidate for physical therapy because nothing hurts right now? You may be an ideal candidate for our sports enhancement?
Oconomowoc Physical Therapy takes a customized approach starting with a thorough evaluation and building a program to enable you to get back to the life you want. I have taken more than twice the required continuing education to ensure the skillset required to get you better, but if it is outside of my scope, I will gladly refer you to someone who does have the skills you need. One of my goals is to encompass your whole body needs, so I am a member of the orthopedic, neurologic, and pelvic health chapters of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). My approach includes hands-on manual therapy, exercise performance training, and the verbal and body awareness education you need. These cornerstones are coupled with some alternative therapy approaches such as: dry needling, Visceral Manipulation, & CranioSacral Therapy (CST) allowing me to achieve success in my clients.
About Carla Colella, DPT, OCS
I achieved my Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) from The George Washington University in 2008, and my Board certification as an Orthopedic Specialist (OCS) in 2010. I have over 10 years of clinical experience, am licensed in the state of WI, and also help the next generation of PTs learn at Carroll University. However, my journey into physical therapy began a few years before that. As an adolescent, I was having some upper back pain, and I went to a primary care physician who referred me to a DO, who referred me to a Rheumatologist, and somewhere along the way I saw an Orthopaedic Surgeon. I got unnecessary imaging, got put on a harmful Rx drug, and was given a bogus diagnosis…but in all of this did I receive any TREATMENT? No. Even when I started going to PT, the first two were not that helpful, but ah, number 3, that’s who helped me out. As with many things that make meaningful, lasting changes in our lives, it’s a journey.
In my spare time, I enjoy comedy, cooking, paddling on Lake Country’s beautiful lakes and rivers with my husband, playing with my kids at our community’s wonderful parks and walking my very spoiled dog.
Dr. Carla's Credentials, Certifications, Education & Professional Affiliations
WI PT licensed
APTA- American Physical Therapy Association Member of sections: orthopedics, neurology, women's health
Evidence In Motion (formerly Kineticore)Functional Dry Needling
OCS – Board Certified Orthopedic Specialist
Teaching Assistant for Orthopedics at Carroll University
Doctorate of Physical Therapy, The George Washington University (D.C.), 2008.
12 years clinical experience